Smile!!!

When everyone is talking about the Oscars and Slumdog Millionaire, another movie happened to catch my attention in the Oscar website. It's called Smile Pinki

I started browsing for this movie, actually it's a short documentary.
Plot Summary: Pinki is a five-year-old girl from some village of Mirzapur District, India, born in a desperately poor family, and with a cleft lip. They never realized it just required one simple operation, until she meets Pankaj, a social worker traveling from village to village gathering patients to go to hospital in Varanasi that provides free surgery to thousands each year. Told in a vibrant style, this real-world fairy tale follows its protagonist journey to a dream smile from isolation and shame.
It seems like a very touching movie and I would like to watch it. And if anyone knows how to get to it, please let me know.

But what really caught my attention was Steven D Lewitt's article about this documentary.
"I watched it with my children. They’ve never seen anyone with a cleft, because in the United States, every baby born with the condition gets surgery within a few months."
Is that for real ??!!


UPDATE: Smile Pinki won the OSCAR for best documentary (short)

Comments